BAA Growth Challenge

03 October 2010

BAA Challenge Month 5

So I officially passed 4 months since my BC on September 22, which was cool. Hard to believe it’s been 4 months since I cut off my relaxed ends! I still haven’t had a day of regret. So it’s time for my 4th check-in for the BAA challenge (don’t be confused by the “Month 5” I started with 1 instead of 0. . . this challenge ends for me in December, but I think I may still track my monthly progress every 6 months).

Pictures over the jump :o)

 

Month 1 on the left, Month 5 on the right:

                     

 

 

 

 

I don’t feel that my front shots do a great job of showing my growth. . . I can tell you when I BC’d the top came to about halfway to the tip of my nose, stretched, now it’s a little bit past my nose. When I “start over” in January for tracking I’ll maybe to a pic off to the side or something so it’s easier to spot the growth.  Also, the hair over my hear can now touch my collar-bone (not sure if you can tell from the pic). My neck and back pics are pretty accurate. I had mom assist for my back again so it only took one shot to get it. LOL, last month that back pic was giving me fits. I mean it’s not long enough for me to grab from the bottom, but it’s too long for me to really get a good shot of  reaching my arm over the top like in the month 1 photo. Maybe I just need to be more flexible. . .

This month I didn’t do anything special with my hair. I did pretty well with protective styling pretty often, or at least doing low manipulation styles. I seriously can’t wait for my hair to be long enough to just throw in a bun and be done with. LOL. I am worried about my edges (especially on the right side) so I’m taking extra care with them when styling. I don’t do as many puffs as before and when I twist I make sure not to pull too hard (the same with this random tender spot in the middle of the back of my head).

As I’m sure you all can tell, the longer it gets, the more coily it gets. I love my coils, but sometimes they are HELL to detangle. LOL, I do a lot fewer WNGs in September (even though it was still hot as all get out) simply because the detangling session that follows isn’t worth it. I also have been trying to at least shampoo my hair in twists which makes it easier for me to get the shampoo on my scalp where it is needed the most. I’m still going to try to remember to get an applicator bottle the next time I see one. Maybe I’ll just make a special run to Sally’s.

I also haven’t been doing my usual deep condition treatment the last 3-4 weeks because I’ve been playing around with 3 minute deep conditioners (as I’m sure you can tell from previous posts). I like the 3 minute DCs when I’m in a rush, but I may go back to my longer routine with Winter coming up just to see how my hair does. I DC with Raw Honey typically which is a humectant which may not be a good thing in the winter. But I don’t LEAVE the honey on my hair I rinse it out completely, so I’m not too worried on that score. Hell Castor Oil is a humectant and I used it all last winter with no problems, but then I was still transitioning so I don’t know if it will have a different effect on my hair fully natural.

Alright, I’ve talked enough, adios!