BAA Growth Challenge

18 September 2010

Matrix Biolage Hydra Therapie Ultra-Hydrating Balm Review

image

So, someone sent me some of this to try and yesterday I decided to give it a whirl. This isn’t a product I’ve used more than once at this point, but I think I have enough to try it again next week. Overall, I like it. . .

Ingredients: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Glycerin , Amodimethicone , Cetyl Esters , Fragrance , Methylparaben , Cetrimonium Chloride , Trideceth-12 , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Propylene Glycol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Polysorbate 20 , Coumarin , Linalool , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxycitronellal , Amyl Cinnamal , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Geraniol , Algae (Algae Extract) , Pollen Extract , Saponaria Officinalis (Saponaria Officinalis Extract) , Saliva Officinalis (Sage Leaf Extract) , Silk Amino Acids , Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract) , Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ Oil) , Methyl-2-Octynoate

Price: Anywhere from $15-25. For me this is a little steep for one product at this time, but it may be worth it on some level. . .

Smell: The smell is actually kind of strong and it smells like a Salon product (if that makes sense). It doesn’t smell BAD but it doesn’t make me want to eat my hair either. LOL, the smell DOES linger so if you’re sensitive to smells, this probably isn’t the product for you. I mean after using the product, I did a green tea rinse, then I used my other products that I normally use to style, and I can STILL smell this stuff on my hair (combined with my leave-in). It doesn’t bother me because it’s a clean scent, but if it DID stink, I’d have a real issue with it. As it is, I rather enjoy the scent.

Results: Here’s what the bottle says it will do:

Intensely conditions very dry, thick, coarse hair. Formulated with a sumptuous blend of silk amino acids and shea butter to envelop and smooth the cuticle, helping lock out humidity, frizz and unwanted volume.

Made in USA

  • After Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo
  • Massage into wet hair
  • Leave on 1-3 minutes
  • Rinse

 

Now, I didn’t use the shampoo, but other than that I tried to follow the directions (although I may have left it on for a little more than 3 minutes because I was combing it through to the end and all that good stuff). When I put it on my hair did feel softer, and the product does have a good amount of slip. I didn’t even have to use a BUNCH of product to feel it. I maybe used 2 1/2 50 cent piece-sized amounts on my hair to cover ALL of my hair:

I REALLY enjoyed rubbing this product over my hair (which may have also contributed to my leaving it on for more than 1-3 minutes. After that I rinsed the product out of my hair. I loved that it didn’t take a super long time to get it all out of my hair (unlike my normal DC). Here’s my hair after I rinsed it out:

 

My hair shrank back up almost IMMEDIATELY, which means it was pretty hydrated. It was soft and light to the touch. Overall, I was pleased with the results, even more so since I didn’t have to sit under a dryer for 15 minutes or wait 45 minutes-1 hr to deep condition. I think that was my favorite thing about the product. It’s an excellent time saver. On top of that, I didn’t even need to add raw honey and EVOO to it (which is good because I’m running low on both. . . ). Now I did follow this with a green tea rinse, but that was concentrated more on my scalp (I needed some relief there) so I don’t think that significantly altered the effects the balm had on my hair.

Here is my hair now completely dry and set for my latest style:

 

It looks great and no different than it would if I did my regular DC. I’m excited to see what the style ends up looking like.

Afros: Overall I give this product 4 out of 5 Afros. The only demerit is the price, while I love the product and the convenience, I’m reluctant to spend that much on one product since I DC once a week. I could see myself buying some for standby for those days when I don’t feel like doing the longer DC. If you are someone on a budget, this product may be too expensive  for you without making a sacrifice somewhere else, but if someone gives it to you, I say go on and give it a try!