BAA Growth Challenge

14 August 2010

Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Shampoo, Conditioner, and Lite Cream Review

image So, my mom bought some Hair Milk Shampoo, Conditioner, and Lite Conditioning Cream when Lisa was last on HSN. Although I HATE Carol’s Daughter Products generally when it comes to my hair, I decided to give it a shot. So without further ado, let the reviewing begin!

Shampoo:

What it’s supposed to do:

A nourishing shampoo for the type of hair that needs it most...curls. Cuts frizz, gently removes dirt, oil and product build-up. Made with essential oils plus Vitamin A to help condition the scalp and keep moisture in. Gives curls what they need for that desired healthy, bouncy look.

Curl Perfecting Shampoo Benefits:

  • Pro-vitamin B5 (Panthenol) – Helps minimize tangles and balance moisture
  • Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate) – Scalp conditioner that also protects from moisture loss. Plus protects from environmental damage.
  • Vitamin E (Tocopherol) – Conditioner that protects from environmental damage.
  • Essential Oils of Orange and Lemon
  • Paraben-Free, No Petroleum, Mineral Oil or Artificial Color
  • SLS/SLES/Sulfate-Free

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-2 Cocamide Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), *Arctium Majus (Burdock) Root Extract, *Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract, *Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, *Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Tea) Leaf Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Elettaria Cardamomum (Cardamon) Seed Oil, Thuja Occidentalis (Cedar) Leaf Oil, Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Biotin (Vitamin H), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Creatine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Hexylene Glycol, Hexapeptide-11, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates Copolymer, AMP-Acrylates Copolymer, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Silicone Quaternium-3, PVP, Trideceth-7, Trideceth-12, Polyurethane-14, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, PEG-150 Distearate, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum)

* Certified Organic

I followed the instructions:

Apply a quarter-sized amount to damp hair. Work into a lather, rinse thoroughly. Repeat.

 

Well, I used more than a quarter sized amount because I didn’t feel like it was lathering. Which brings me to my first point, This stuff does NOT lather if you want a good lather. When I use my Shea Moisture, or even the ORS Aloe Vera shampoo, I get a great lather. Not so much with this product. I didn’t take a pic because I didn’t take a camera with me. But I did go get my camera to take pictures of my hair after I washed it out which will be posted directly. Now when I was using this shampoo I felt like my hair was being stripped, and that’s not a good thing in my book. My hair NEVER feels stripped, not even when I was doing ACV rinses or using the ORS Shampoo (which has sulfates in it). I was concentrating more on my scalp since I had a lot of buildup there (I was washing in twists at this point because that makes it easier for me to get shampoo on my scalp. I think I’ll have to invest in one of those applicator bottles), but I did get my hair, and I didn’t like the way it felt.

When it comes to smell, the shampoo smells the best of the three products to me. I can’t really describe it, kind of sweet but not TOO sweet if you don’t like that sort of thing. Anywhoo, I think I don’t think I’ll be using this shampoo again unless I feel like there’s way too much product on my hair and it needs a heavy duty cleaning. My hair wasn’t really that dirty (as I had just co-washed a couple of days before).

With that being said, I DID notice curls popping all over the place (click for larger photos):

  

All in all, I’d give the shampoo 3 out of 5 Afros, I think it DID kinda do what it was supposed to do, there seems to be less frizz, and you can see curls popping and my hair was definitely clean. BUT, the smell was only “ok” and I didn’t like the dry/stripped feeling when I was done washing.

Conditioner:

What it’s supposed to do:

The perfect companion to our nourishing, Curl Perfecting Shampoo. An indulgent, penetrating, moisture treatment that restores while supporting healthy-looking natural curls. Made with essential oils plus Pro-Vitamin B5 and Biotin to help replenish and strengthen hair with the natural nutrients it’s thirsting for, leaving your curls under control…which is where they belong.

Curl Perfecting Conditioner Benefits:

  • Pro-vitamin B5 (Panthenol) – Helps minimize tangles and balance moisture
  • Biotin (Vitamin H): Strengthens hair follicles and helps promote healthy hair
  • Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate) - A Vitamin A derivative known for its antioxidant properties and acts as a scalp conditioning agent. It also protects against moisture loss and environmental damage.
  • Vitamin E (Tocopherol) – An antioxidant and conditioning agent that protects hair from environmental damage.
  • Essential Oils of Orange and Lemon
  • Paraben-Free, No Petroleum, Mineral Oil or Artificial Color

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Elettaria Cardamomum (Cardamon) Seed Oil, Thuja Occidentalis (Cedar) Leaf Oil, Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Biotin (Vitamin H), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Citric Acid, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-13 Pareth-3, C12-13 Pareth-23, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Laureth-9, Polyurethane-14, Polyquaternium-37, Polysorbate 60, PEG-45M, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Trideceth-12, AMP-Acrylates Copolymer, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum)

Instructions:

After shampooing with Hair Milk Curl Perfecting Shampoo, apply a quarter-sized amount to hair, comb through from roots to ends. Leave on for 3-5 minutes, rinse thoroughly.

 

Soooooo, I was a little leery of following the instructions since that’s not how I NORMALLY condition on wash day after using shampoo, but I went with it because I wanted the review to be “pure” or whatever. LOL, so since I had already thoroughly detangled with Suave Humectant before washing it wasn’t a hassle to comb through my hair. This conditioner immediately made my hair feel a bit less stripped, and it felt like it had slip. . . at first. I don’t think this conditioner has enough slip to apply only a quarter sized amount, so again I added more than the instructions stated. Then I went through and combed my hair with my wide-tooth comb which wasn’t hard at all really. But I don’t know how much of that was the Hair Milk Conditioner, and how much of it was the fact that I’d already pretty much detangled before washing. I don’t think it would have been as easy had I just washed and then conditioned without detangling beforehand, ESPECIALLY considering how much hair was in those twists since they were in for a week (I wanted to leave them in for two, but it didn’t happen. More on that in another post. . . maybe).

The smell, I didn’t care for the smell. It smelled a little better in the bottle than it did on my hair.

I left it on with a shower cap (because hey, I didn’t think it could hurt to add a little body-heat) for 3-5 minutes (I didn’t get an exact time) Here’s my hair after conditioning (click for larger photos):

 

Here it is after rinsing the conditioner out (click for larger):

  All in all, I’d give the conditioner 1 out of 5 Afros, Again, curls are poppin, but I’m not convinced they are poppin’ any more than usual. I didn’t like the smell, and my hair doesn’t really feel all that conditioned at this point. I get the same results from co-washing with a cheapie conditioner.

Conditioning Cream:

What it’s supposed to do:

A curl’s best friend. A curl boosting, weightless lotion that tames frizz while defining your curls. Adapted from our famous original formula, Hair Milk Lite is made with essential oil of Lemon and Vitamin C for an extra light, moisturizing hold.

Hair Milk Lite The Curl Booster Benefits

  • Apricot Kernel Oil – Increases moisture
  • Cocoa & Shea Butters – Condition the scalp and hair
  • Vitamin C – Protects from environmental damage
  • Lemon Essential Oil – Gives this formula it’s energizing and uplifting fragrance
  • Paraben-Free, No Petroleum, Mineral Oil or Artificial Color

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Beeswax, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Myristic Fragrans (Nutmeg) Kernel Oil, Xanthan Gum, PVP, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyurethane-14, AMP-Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum)

Instructions:

Apply a dime-sized amount to damp hair and style as desired. Add more as necessary

Ah, Hair Milk. I’ve used the Original before, I didn’t like it. In fact, the first bottle I got when I was still relaxed so of course it did nothing for me. I ended up giving it to my Grandma and she loves the stuff. My mom gave her the second bottle of her Light Hair Milk and my Grandma loves that too, she likes it a little more because it’s not as heavy which is good for her hair since her curls are way looser (I love my Grandma’s hair, if I live to be old I want it to look like hers).

So it said a dime sized amount to damp hair, so I dried my hair a little with an old white T-Shirt. Then I took some Hair Milk (more than a dime, I figured it’d be okay because it’s “Lite” and my hair definitely needs more than “Lite” conditioning). I put it on my head rubbing it back like I was gong to put it in a ponytail a few times before shaking. here it is right after application:

I wasn’t worried about the white because I know creams will eventually absorb.

Here it is mostly dry (click for larger):

 

Now it IS soft, and as you can see it’s actually pretty defined. Makes me wonder if maybe the Original Hair Milk would work better with the Shampoo and Conditioner. Buuuuuuuuuuut, the smell is making me want to throw up. I WOULD wash my hair again right now, but it’s late and I don’t feel like sitting under a dryer.

But again, I’m not convinced that this product (the smell of which makes me nauseous) does anything I can’t get from just a regular leave-in conditioner the smell of which doesn’t make me sick.

All in all, I’d give the Lite Hair Milk 3 out of 5 Afros, My hair IS soft, and it IS pretty defined. I don’t really feel like I can run my fingers through my hair, but that’s a usual for me just because of how my coils form. Once my hair is dry, at least at this length, it shall not be moved. LOL. I don’t TOTALLY hate this product, but I definitely will NOT be using it again.