BAA Growth Challenge

25 December 2009

Christmas Hair



Yes, I'm posting this on Christmas. LOL, and Merry Christmas to all who Celebrate!

So for my hair I decided to do what my CurlyNikki Big Sis suggested and do flat twists and a bantu-knot out. I like it, but as you can see I'm still working on flat twisting ~lol~ and I think next time I'll do bigger knots (while the tight curls last longer, I'm kinda tired of small curls). Overall, I think it came out pretty well.

Here's what I did/used:

  • Co-Wash/detangle with Aussie Moist
  • Deep Condition with Castor Oil/ORS Replenishing Conditioner
  • Seal: Aussie Moist Hair Insurance, Coconut Oil, ORS Olive Oil Incredibly Rich Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion, Raw Shea Butter
  • Twists: Clear Eco-Styler Gel (not much)
  • Bantu Knots: Aloe Vera Gel

I sealed my entire head before styling instead of sealing and styling at the same time. After that I parted my head ear to ear for the flat twists. I ended up doing 5 flat twists (I wanted to do big ones). Then I started at the back and did my bantu-knots. The back of my hair doesn't always hold by itself or even with bobby-pins so I used hair ties to keep those two together and worked my way up. I didn't do the twists knots individually, I tried to combine them with other hair where possible. Then I sat under a medium hood dryer for an hour, then I sat under a cool dryer for abotu 10 minutes. My hair actually wasn't completely dry in the back, but that's okay. I tied down the twists in the front and just put a satin bonnet on to sleep over the knots. I didn't have to go anywhere yesterday, so I kept my hair set (I took the bonnet off, but left the scarf on).

This morning I took out the knots, and separated them, and that's it! A relatively simple style. You can let it air dry if you have the time (that's the great thing abotu bantu-knots), or you can let the back of your hair mostly dry and then put your bantu-knots in damp hair that will be dry by the morning. Normally I let my hair air dry, but I did my hair at night, and I'm not going to sleep with a drenched head. LOL.

If you don't know how to do bantu-knots, it's really easy. I twist my hair all the way to the end most of the time, but you don't have to, Just single twist your hair at the base until it starts to curl into a knot on it's own, then wrap the rest of the hair around that base. You can twist all the way to the end or not. There are lots of videos on YouTube, so if my instructions weren't clear, please go to YouTube-- that's how I learned how to do them :O)

As far as flat-twisting for me I find it works best if I twist and pick up hair as I go making sure that the hair is split all the way to the end to avoid knots and tangles. This is the best video I've found to teach me, it's short, sweet and to the point. Now I just need to practice, and that method works going backwards too :o)