BAA Growth Challenge

13 May 2010

My Shea Butter Mix

So a few weeks ago I tried my hand at a Shea Butter mix, and I’m wondering why I didn’t try it sooner! I absolutely LOVE this stuff.

But boy was making that mixture a MESSY process. Melting the shea butter was kinda hard because I'd put too much water in the bowl, so the water was mixing with the shea and melting it too fast, so I had to take some of the water out of the white bowl and pour it out and just ugh. But here's what I used:

  • 3 tbsp of Raw Unrefined Shea Butter
  • 1 tbsp of Castor Oil
  • 1 tbsp of EVOO
  • 1 tbsp of Jojoba Oil (the original recipe called for EVCO but I don't think coconut oil does anything for my hair, and I didn't get the EV kind so I decided to change it to Jojoba)
  • 3-4 drops of Essential Peppermint Oil (for scent more than anything)

So here's the Ingredients all lined up like little soldiers ready for war (LOL):

Here's the shea butter after I finally got it melted:

Once I got the bowl in the water it didn't take long to melt it at all.

 

Here it is after getting everything in and mixed. I added the Castor Oil first, then mixed well, then added the EVOO and mixed well, and then the Jojoba Oil and mixed well, finally ending with the Peppermint Oil and mixing:

It's actually in an old Palmers Cocoa Butter thing because it's the only container I could find. LOL, I was gonna use one of the Carol's Daughter Some of Marguerite's Magic stuff (why did I get two of those? I can't remember now), but I had waaaay too much of it left over to combine it into one, and that stuff was too expensive to just throw away. I ended up giving the fuller one to my mom and try to use up the rest of the other one, she loves the stuff.

Finally, I let it cool stirring repeatedly (about every 15 minutes) with the rat tail of my rat tail comb (hey, I don't have one of those fancy mixer things ~lol~) for about 2 hours I think before I got tired and was ready for bed. So here's what it looked like all creamy and delicious looking:

My mixture actually smells like a York Peppermint Patty to me. LOL, I don't know if it's from the old jar (I did wash it out before using it) mixed with the peppermint or the shea mixed with it, but it smells divine (to me anyway)